Fissure in ano


Fissure-in-ano is a longitudinal crack or slit (ulcer) in the skin (muco cutaneous) of anus. If the skin lining of the lower end of the anus gets scratched, it may break up into a fissure. Fissure-in-ano is observed in children as well as in adults; however, it is more common amongst middle-aged adults. Causes: In anal fissures, anus distal to dentate line is involved. About 90% of anal fissures occur in the posterior midline where skeletal muscle fibers that circle the anus are weakest. The remaining 10% are found in the anterior midline. An anterior fissure is more likely to develop in women (25%) than in men (8%).


The following are some of the symptoms of Fissure in ano : The posterior midline of the anus is the most common location for fissure due to low supply of blood in this area. Rarely, it can be present on the other areas, such as sides of the anus rather than posterior midline position. Such fissure may be the manifestation of underlying disease e.g. Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis etc. This can be aggravated by faulty diet, faulty bowel habits, less water consumption and constipation. • Rectal pain, usually described as burning, cutting, or tearing • Pain with bowel movements; spasm of the anus. • Bloody stools o Typically, bright-red blood appears on the surface of stools. Blood usually is not mixed into stool. o Occasionally, blood is found on toilet paper after wiping. o Patient may report no bleeding. • Mucoid discharge • Pruritus

Homeopathic Treatment

• Warm water; shower or sitz bath after bowel movement • Analgesics (pain relieving medicines) • Stool softener • High-fiber diet Homeopathy has some specific medicines for it. But the constitutional medicines helps permenantly.